Monday, August 24, 2009

Healing Form the Book of Wise Sayings

Proverbs has a number of healing scriptures:

Proverbs 3:7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the Lord and depart from evil.
8 It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.

Fear does not mean we have to be afraid of God but in awe of his greatness instead. And in that greatness whatever health problems there are not only can, but will be take care of.

Proverbs 4:20 My son, give attention to my words;
Incline your ear to my sayings.
21 Do not let them depart from your eyes;
Keep them in the midst of your heart;
22 For they are life to those who find them,
And health to all their flesh.
23 Keep your heart with all diligence,
For out of it spring the issues of life.

This passage is talking about the importance of the words in your life in general and specifically in health in verse 22. It amazes me how many people read little or none of the word. When I was a child I thought one verse pulled out of a “Bread of Life Promise Box” was plenty of Bible for the day. But it was a long time before I became a Christian. I struggled along for a while even after accepting Christ. Eventually I learned enough about the Lord and having a relationship with God. That makes all the difference. Once you become friends with the Lord it is easy to believe he would want you to be well.

Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are like a honeycomb,
Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.

There can be very pleasant words in the Bible. A lot depends on how you look at them. Some people see the Bible as little more than a collection of stories, others see it as history. While there is a lot of history in the Bible it is far more than that. The word becomes sweet as honeycomb when you spend time with it.

Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart does good, like medicine,
But a broken spirit dries the bones.

This is probably the most often quoted healing scripture from Proverbs. I try to be merry and upbeat and it is better. I also agree with the part about a broken spirit being bad news. I have gone through some tough times and it is not at all pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment